Saturday, May 28, 2011

Camera Lucida Response

Overall the book Camera Lucida was a good read, but there was one part in particular that stood out to me. It is on page 63 and 64, when the author is looking through pictures of his mother, shortly after she died. He mentioned how if he showed these to friends, these photographs wouldn't really "speak" to them. However, they would always "speak" to him, for he had a personal and close connection to the subject. This made me think of what kind of photographs spoke to me. Of course ones of family members and friends will always speak to me but there are photographs of people I may not know, but when I look at them, they move me and make me feel something inside. An example of this is a series that was done by Barbra Davidson on gang violence in Los Angeles. The series recently won her the Pulitzer Prize, which goes to show how much these photographs spoke to the viewers, including me.
http://framework.latimes.com/who-we-are/barbara-davidson/

No comments:

Post a Comment